October 29, 2022

Co-founder chemistry with Scott Ford

pm power consultation
pm power consultation
Co-founder chemistry with Scott Ford
Subscribe on

Show Notes

In the previous episode, Scott Ford, the co-founder and CTO of Corgibytes, a company focused on modernizing legacy code, shared

  • His interest in legacy code
  • Patterns he has seen evolve in solution development over the years
  • Using metaphors of archeology and home renovation in the context of understanding and breathing new life into old software
  • And more

This is the second part of the conversation with Scott Ford, where he shares

  • The origins of his company corgibytes, with a focus on helping companies take something that already exists and make it better
  • This includes analyzing the structure of the code, test suites etc or the way the teams are structured and workflows, to help address a business need
  • How his team focuses on the craft more than the urgency to ship something out quickly
  • He talks of the mindsets for makers and menders in the software development space
  • That it is no a binary, but more of a spectrum that one can and may need to move in
  • Many makers may want to move on after 80%, when they may be bored; the menders can step in and help complete the remaining 20%
  • Why he felt the need to have a co-founder and how he found the ideal partner, in business and life
  • How he started with developing websites and small apps, and then pivoted to the current focus
  • The process they have evolved over the years for the inspection and understanding existing code
  • Using Cyclomatic complexity, duplication of code, coverage, churn etc, to identify hotspots
  • His career tips

M. Scott Ford is the Co-Founder & CTO of Corgibytes, where he has quietly led a software maintenance revolution for the past decade. Where most people find nothing but frustration, shame, and bugs in legacy code, Scott has centered his work around his genuine love of software modernization and helping others use joy, empathy, and technical excellence to make their systems more stable, scalable, and secure. Scott’s ideas have been featured in books such as The Innovation Delusion and as a guest lecturer at Harvard University. Scott is the author of three courses on LinkedIn Learning and he is the host of the Legacy Code Rocks! Podcast.


What do you think?

Leave a Reply